Our vineyard is located on two neighboring municipalities: Castelviel and Gornac. , 45km (28 miles) southwest of Bordeaux, between the rivers Garonne and Dordogne, in the Southern part of the Entre-deux-Mers area.
This beautiful, hilly region, verdant with vines and groves, contains some historical jewels like country houses and abbeys from the 12th century.
We have 29 hectares (72 acres) of vine:
– 20 hectares (49 acres) in red vine (80% merlot, 10% cabernet sauvignon, 5% cabernet franc and 4% malbec)
– 9 hectares(23 acres) in white vine (66% sauvignon blanc, 19% sauvignon gris and 15% muscadelle)
We take also tenant farming of 7 hectares (17 acres) neighboring vines (same soil) of white grape varieties (55% sauvignon blanc, 33% sauvignon gris, 12% semillon).
It is planted on hills 110 and 140 meters high.
Of course, this location is great for quality : plots are well drained and exposure to the sun is better. It is also better to prevent the illness development (mildiou, oidium and botrytis)
Concerning the soil, is composed of alluvium from the Quaternary Period but mostly of clay and limestone. When taking a walk in the village of Castelviel, you can very easily see limestone resurfacing around the 12th-century church.
– The calcareous clay soil of Castelviel enables us to make powerful wines that you can keep for a long time.
– In Gornac, there is slightly less clay – instead we find silica and silt which make for more elegant wines, fruity and most of all with very mature tannins.
For 20 years now, our goal has been selling our production in bottles, independently.
Now, we produce around 1800 hl and we sell around 200 000 bottles per year, divided into 6 appellations:
– Bordeaux rouge,
– Bordeaux supérieur,
– Bordeaux rosé,
– Bordeaux blanc (dry or sweet)
– Entre deux mers (dry white wine)
We are very careful to work seriously and consistently.: respecting quality and a correct price.
If you are interested, do not hesitate to consult “Our Wines”
For over four generations, the Ithier-Buffeteau family has been seeing to the alliance of tradition and technology to get elegant, racy wines with an earthy flavour.
In the beginning, it was a mixed farming in Castelviel. It became an exclusive vineyard with Huguette and Jean-Paul Buffeteau, who bought more vine in Gornac.
Then, Jean-Luc, son of Jean-Paul, came back twenty years ago, after his oenological studies in Bordeaux and 15 years as oenologist and buyer on the Bordeaux merchant place. New projects were born like the complete restructuration of the vineyard (54 acres), the marketing strategy and the renovation of the various wineries.
In 2014, important changes happened:
– we bought 7 hectares (17 acres) of vine in Gornac,
– Claire, the daughter of Jean-Luc decided to work on the estate (principally on administrative tasks),
– and finally we had a project of a new modern stain steel tank winery (capacity : 2000hl). It was finished on September 2015, just right to the Harvest!